Monday, January 19, 2015

one little word {2015}

clean.

It's a simple word. One that's packed with meaning. Worldy meanings and spiritual meaning, deep and surface level. It encompasses so much, yet it boils down to one. simple. word.

Clean is a jam-packed word and i'm super excited that it's my word for the year. It joins the word rest from last year {which didn't work out great toward the end of the year}. But this year will be different. I've been over and over this word in prayer and in my brain... and the Lord has confirmed this is the word for our year... and I couldn't be more thrilled.

For me, it focuses on several things and touches on all different aspects of our lives. For me, it truly describes the lifestyle I want to live - the lifestyle I want for my family. Close your eyes and think about clean. Take a deep breath... feel refreshed and lighten your load. THAT it was clean feels like to me.

Again, what I LOVE about the word is that it encompasses all areas of our lives, not just one general meaning.

Clean house.
Organized and simple... clutter and junk out the door. I want our house to be a home and to feel like refreshment to the soul; a safe haven for everyone who comes inside. With Jeff traveling so much, I really want him to long for home... long for the feeling that our home brings to him. The smells of baked goods and the volcano candle from anthropologies. The stillness of the mornings and the beauty of being surrounded by trinkets, pictures and memories that evoke joy + laughter. Anything that does not evoke those emotions, provide function or is necessary is going to be out this year. Period.

Clean eating. Clean food. Simple and clean in 2015.  
I've thought long + hard about joining the #whole30 craze. I love the concept of it for sure, but I'm not sure I can stick with all of the rules for 30 days. I know so many people who do and have had amazing results. I recently saw some beautiful pictures that a friend took of our time in Austin last week {I'll share more later} and I thought, "man, I look thick". The thing is that I don't necessarily mind how I look, but I do mind how I feel. I want to feel good. Actually, I want to feel amazing, if I'm being honest. And right now, I have no concept of healthy - whether I'm talking about exercise or nutrition. So that will be changing. I'll talk more about what I'm doing later this week ... I'm in detox mode at the moment and the headaches are something fierce.

Clean thoughts. 
Do you struggle with unhealthy and out of control thought life? Y'all, as much as I hate to admit it, this is probably my biggest sin struggle. I want to dwell on what is true and noble and lovely and pure; not what I think to be true, but what I know to be true. When untruths begin to take over, I want to remember that He is good and He is the blessed controller of ALL things. This concept is going to be hard for me - it's going to take a complete overhaul of my brain... retraining it, so to speak, to not go down those old rabbit trails of thought.

Clean words. 
This one is self explanatory and leads into the next one... the ultimate one.

Clean heart. 
"Create in me a clean heart, Oh God + renew a steadfast spirit within me." {Psalm 51:10} 
This is really the scripture that I have purposed over 2015. What does a clean heart look like? It's pure and light. It thinks of others above everything else. It's unburdened and it's load is light. {I can just picture even walking lighter by the end of the year!} It does not harbor bitterness or unforgiveness, but is willing to let go of wrongdoings and petty arguments. It's all the above things rolled into one.... clean thoughts, clean words, clean home, clean eating. 

It's going to be super hard. But He can do it.... He can create in me a clean heart and I'm so looking forward to it.

Do you have a word for the year? What's your word... or your goals for the year? I'd love to hear how you reflect on your year behind + ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blog development by fabulous k