Wednesday, January 15, 2014

on resting well.

have you hopped on the "word of the year" train? where you pick a word that is your challenge or goal or vision for the year?

i chose a word a while ago. back in my crazy december that was all sorts of messed up and different.

rest.

in 2014 i want to learn to rest well.

sounds kinda lazy, doesn't? kind of apathetic. and less than triumphant. less than exhilirating, right?

but let me tell you.... i truly think my life is hinging on this. learning to rest well.

most of the time - especially in the last several years - i am known to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off - OR laying on the couch vegging out in front of a real housewives of beverly hills marathon.

i have two extremes in my life. i've realized i am not great {good at all, really} with time management. so more often than not, i don't have my stuff together. i'm working on school projects the morning they're due {that has happened TWICE this school year already, no lie - and my son is in KINDERGARTEN, y'all}, i generally have loads of unfolded {and sometimes unwashed} laundry scattered all over the house, i don't have a meal plan, and my studio is always piled to the brim with projects & ideas left undone.

it stresses me out. all. the. time. i have some sort of feeling of pressure/anxiety almost all of the time.

so what do i do? i avoid it. like the plague. and i sit in front of the t.v. like it's not happening. i ignore.

but that's not resting, y'all.

that's called being lazy.

and i'm really good at that. really, i am.

but that's exactly the opposite of what i'm seeing as my goal for this year.

i want to learn how to rest. to let my mind relax. to take deep breaths in the middle of this crazy life and feel NO GUILT or pressure or anxiety or stress and sit down with my cup of tea and REST. to slow down and let God be God and the rest fall into place.

"come to me, all who are weary & heavy-laden and I will give you rest. take my yoke upon you & learn from me for I am gentle & humble in heart & you will find rest for your souls. for my yoke is easy & my burden is light." {matthew 11:28-30}

see? it's biblical.

heck, God even created a WHOLE DAY for rest.

and i've come to realize that rest is VITAL to have a full & fruitful life of contentment and joy. otherwise i am frazzled, irritable, stressed and just flat out not fun to be around.

and this year i've already taken steps in the last few weeks to rectify the situation.

i'll share my new discoveries on rest for the weary tomorrow. stay tuned.

what's your word for 2014? do you have one?

do you rest well? do you have any tips you'd like to share? i am open to ANY suggestions and opinions. i'm excited for what rest will mean for myself & my family this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blog development by fabulous k