Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Life Creative // A Book Recommedation



A few weeks ago, my new Insta-friend Wendy Speake, sent me her latest book Life Creative. I couldn’t wait to read it and I’ve been reading it throughout my quiet times in the morning ever since. 

Here’s the beautiful thing about Life Creative… it’s written by two creative moms. They’re right there in the trenches with us, ladies. They know what it’s like. They get it. 

The words that they have so eloquently written on paper make me feel like I’m not alone in this strange, but wonderful, need to create. To write and to paint. And I’m also not alone in the struggle to find balance between making and family. Art + life. 

Wendy and Kelli offer a fresh take on creativity - what they rightfully portray as a gracious gift from God. They discuss the battle that they found themselves fighting as a new mom - not even realizing that creativity was such a huge part of who they were.  But without cultivating it - even in those weary seasons of motherhood - we feel a deep and unexplainable sense of loss.

What I find so exciting about this book is that it doesn’t give you a prescription to fix it, or a way to balance it all. They point out that God is the Author of our timeline, and He created us with creativity for a purpose, for today and for our future. So what can we do now, where we find ourselves today, to live the creative life? 

Isn’t that every mother’s struggle? To find the time to do what is necessary to fill your own soul with joy? (Read the last blog post.)

Only in the past few years have I accepted that what fills my heart with joy, and what uniquely makes me me, is the need - the deepest desire and longing - to create. I used to see it as a flaw, not as a blessing. But through much study, I’ve come discover that our Heavenly Father is a creative God and celebrates creativity throughout scripture. 

The key is - surrendering to His timing to use it, isn’t it? 

This book is a MUST for all the makers, writers, artists, bakers, chefs and teachers that struggle with what the creative life looks like in the middle of motherhood, day jobs and marriage. Wendy + Kelli’s words have deeply encouraged me as I know they will for you as well. I cannot wait for you to read it! 

The good news is that it comes out TODAY!! You can buy it on Amazon here. You can follow Life Creative on Instagram here

Wendy and Kelli - thank you so much for including me in this journey. I have been extremely blessed by you both! 

And without further ado, here is an excerpt that is one of my favorites. 

For many creative souls, inspiration floods late at night when the house grows still and the distractions of the day fade. As the light of the moon winks a story into your heart, grab (a) journal, pick up your laptop, pin your inspiration, record the raw melody on your iPhone, sketch the design, lay down the lyrics at the altar table of your journal’s pages, then sleep. The rest will continue to fuel your creative soul, and it will give you the grace to focus fully on your most beautiful creations when they toddle to your bedside in the early morning hours. 


Visions and inspiration can be all consuming, but don’t worry about bringing them to fruition today, my friend. There is an appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come. There is a time for visions, a time for dreams, a time for living, and a time to create. And the One who inspires is the same One who makes all things beautiful in His time.Life Creative, page 72

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can totally relate to this! Thank you for sharing this, can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can totally relate to this! Thank you for sharing this, can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete

 

blog development by fabulous k